Every year I come up with a long list of goals I want to accomplish but never seem to keep any of them. This year is different. My major goal of purging my house is well on its way. I am almost completely done with my downstairs and will start on my master bedroom this weekend.
My second goal of curbing my spending and paying down my bills is moving a bit slower. Since 2016 took a huge toll on my finances one of the major things I wanted to focus on in 2017 was my spending. I've tried budgets and everything under the sun but never had anything stick. Then I came across the no spend challenge.
I am challenging myself and YOU to spend no money throughout the entire month of March.
The rules of the no spend month challenge are pretty simple. Don't spend ANY money on anything that isn't essential. What is essential? Things that are absolutely necessary for you/your family.
Your essential list will most likely look different than mine. I drive 2 hours a day for work, so gas is definitely on my essential list. I also have a very sick little girl, so pet supplies are on my essential list. Whatever you need to survive is on your essential list.
The goal of this challenge is to get you focused on your finances and stop spending money on frivolous things.
NO SPEND MONTH - MY PLAN
I am allowing myself to spend money on:
- Bills - Unfortunately, I can't take the month of March off for these!
- Gas - I drive a lot for work, so this is imperative. But, as for the weekends, I'll be staying put as much as I can.
- Food - I will be stocking up on canned goods and frozen veggies this weekend, but I'm allowing myself fresh produce for my salads, etc. I am also starting the 21 Day Fix next week, which will keep me on a meal plan and hopefully cut my food costs.
- Pets - With Drusilla being as sick as she is I have to keep pet supplies on this list. I'm hoping I won't have to spend money on this, but better safe than sorry.
I will NOT be allowing myself to spend money on:
- Eating Out - I don't eat out much, but I do in the mornings at work. I usually start my day off with a tea and a scone from the local B&B. I have a little money on a gift card that I might have to use if I start having withdrawal.
- Crafts - NO CRAFT SUPPLIES! I have to keep repeating that to myself for the whole month of March!
- Target - Those dollar bins get me every time!
- All other things that are not absolutely necessary.
I'm taking $20 in cash out for anything I might need (or want). This is $20 for the entire month! Here is where my tea and scone might come into play, but still NO CRAFT SUPPLIES!
So now it is your turn. Will you accept the challenge?